We understand that attending a new church can be intimidating and sometimes a little scary. We want to make sure you're visit is as welcoming as possible, so we have answered some frequently asked questions:
- What is it like?
- We hope that coming to worship at OSLC is a meaningful experience, and that you are welcomed into God's embrace through the hospitality of the people you meet. We welcome all people and will have a welcome statement coming out this summer (hopefully). For more info on that, please go to our 'inclusivity' page. We are relatively informal, though the services have a traditional framework. Mostly, we model imperfection and invite you to do the same.
- What about my kids?
We love having kids during worship. However, we know that sometimes parents might become uncomfortable with noises or behaviors from their kiddos. If that is the case, there is a quiet room just to the left of the Sanctuary doors where you and your child can hang out. You can hear worship and participate, but we can't hear you. There is also a nursery in the east hallway (beyond the restrooms). It is currently not staffed, but you're welcome to go there to take a break from the activities in worship. There is also a 'pray ground' at the front of the Sanctuary on both sides of the aisle. Kids can build legos or color and draw. Sometimes, the more they are involved in the worship setting, the easier it is to keep them attentive.
During the school year (typically September - May), we have Sunday School at 10:15. You kids are welcome to join in on classes downstairs while parents attend a presentation or study upstairs. Connect with the Pastor or other worship leader for help finding the right classroom.
- Where do I park?
- The parking lot is open to all. There are handicapped stalls in front of the main doors, as well as in the south lot. If stalls are full, additional street parking is available, as well as the parking lot for Butherus, Maser, and Love funeral home at 40th & A St. It is a short walk from there to OSLC.
- What do I wear?
- Come as you are. We have people wearing athletic clothing, jeans, and their Sunday suits. Please dress 'respectfully,' as you might define the word.
- How can I get connected?
- We are happy to connect you to the ministries that interest you--and those you don't even know about! You are welcome to contact the church at 402-483-4126 or email one of our staff for more info. If you read about something that grabs your attention, you can usually just show up and join in. You're always welcome!
- How does communion work?
- Everyone is welcome at the Lord's Table. We don't worry about your baptism, denomination, faith, or personal history. We believe that God meets us in our need, and if you desire to receive communion, then it is offered. All ages are welcome to receive, as well, though our 'formal' First Communion Class takes place in 5th grade. If you have food allergies, we offer allergen-free wafers. And you have the option of either wine or juice. If you have additional questions, please touch base with the pastor before or after worship.
- How long are services?
- Worship is typically about an hour long. The evening services are sometimes a bit shorter, and big celebrations might last a little longer.
Of course, if you have any questions - don't hesitate to reach out below and we'd be happy to answer any questions you may have. Welcome!